The role of crosswalk in the Intel XDK proposition

The role of crosswalk in the Intel XDK proposition

Postby svdoever » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 am

Dear Intel,

Could you elaborate on the role of crosswalk for Intel XDK? I see a link on the API Quicl Links section of the documentation page http://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/xdkdocs. Is it a replacenent of Cordova? Is it an extension of Cordova?
The documentation and Wiki at https://crosswalk-project.org/ don't make it completely clear...

Is this Intel's take at the way forward after Cordova 2.9? Is Cordave 3.0 support comming, or is this the way Intel goes?
Are there plans for support besides Android and Tizen?

Kind regards,

Serge van den Oever
Kind regards,

Serge van den Oever [Macaw]
Weblog: http://weblogs.asp.net/soever
E-mail: serge at macaw.nl
svdoever

Re: The role of crosswalk in the Intel XDK proposition

Postby IntelPaulF » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello Serge,

A lot of very good questions. Sorry, not all the documentation is available at this time, but more will be coming during the week. In the meantime, I'll try to answer your questions, below.

Paul

> Could you elaborate on the role of crosswalk for Intel XDK?

Crosswalk can be thought of as an alternate runtime for Android devices. It is only compatible with Android 4.0 and higher devices, so cannot be applied to older Android 2.x and 3.x devices. It is in a preliminary (alpha) release state right now, I do not when it will be released to beta or final release. When it does become available there will be documentation describing in more detail what Crosswalk offers in comparison to using the builtin webview on Android 4.x devices.

> Is it a replacenent of Cordova? Is it an extension of Cordova?

Crosswalk is not a replacement for Cordova. It incorporates the Cordova API so that apps written to take advantage of the Cordova API can also be used in the Crosswalk runtime. Again, more documentation will be available when this build options is available.

> Is this Intel's take at the way forward after Cordova 2.9? Is Cordave 3.0 support comming, or is this the way Intel goes?

We are not trying to replace Cordova 2.9 or 3.x with Crosswalk. We plan to support Cordova 3.x in a future release of the XDK. Unfortunately I cannot share a precise schedule with you for Cordova 3.x support, but Cordova 3 is definitely in our plan. We are currently supporting Cordova 2.9 because our build system is not currently 100% Cordova compatible, and Cordova 2.9 is the highest version of the Cordova API that we can reliably support with our current build system.

> Are there plans for support besides Android and Tizen?

The Crosswalk open source project is actually driven by a different group within Intel, it is not a product of the XDK product group. At this time I am only aware of support for Tizen and Android. There may be technical, legal or resource issues associated with supporting other platforms, I do not know the restrictions. Since it is an open source project, you are able to also provide input to the project, but you will have to do that through the Crosswalk open source project, not through the Intel XDK.
Paul Fischer
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Corporation, HTML5 Dev Tools
IntelPaulF

Postby svdoever » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Paul, thanks for your extensive answer. I will keep an eye on the project.
Kind regards,

Serge van den Oever [Macaw]
Weblog: http://weblogs.asp.net/soever
E-mail: serge at macaw.nl
svdoever

Postby jsansch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:25 pm

IntelPaulF wrote:Hello Serge,

A lot of very good questions. Sorry, not all the documentation is available at this time, but more will be coming during the week. In the meantime, I'll try to answer your questions, below.

Paul

> Could you elaborate on the role of crosswalk for Intel XDK?

Crosswalk can be thought of as an alternate runtime for Android devices. It is only compatible with Android 4.0 and higher devices, so cannot be applied to older Android 2.x and 3.x devices. It is in a preliminary (alpha) release state right now, I do not when it will be released to beta or final release. When it does become available there will be documentation describing in more detail what Crosswalk offers in comparison to using the builtin webview on Android 4.x devices.

> Is it a replacenent of Cordova? Is it an extension of Cordova?

Crosswalk is not a replacement for Cordova. It incorporates the Cordova API so that apps written to take advantage of the Cordova API can also be used in the Crosswalk runtime. Again, more documentation will be available when this build options is available.

> Is this Intel's take at the way forward after Cordova 2.9? Is Cordave 3.0 support comming, or is this the way Intel goes?

We are not trying to replace Cordova 2.9 or 3.x with Crosswalk. We plan to support Cordova 3.x in a future release of the XDK. Unfortunately I cannot share a precise schedule with you for Cordova 3.x support, but Cordova 3 is definitely in our plan. We are currently supporting Cordova 2.9 because our build system is not currently 100% Cordova compatible, and Cordova 2.9 is the highest version of the Cordova API that we can reliably support with our current build system.

> Are there plans for support besides Android and Tizen?

The Crosswalk open source project is actually driven by a different group within Intel, it is not a product of the XDK product group. At this time I am only aware of support for Tizen and Android. There may be technical, legal or resource issues associated with supporting other platforms, I do not know the restrictions. Since it is an open source project, you are able to also provide input to the project, but you will have to do that through the Crosswalk open source project, not through the Intel XDK.

Hi Intel team,

crosswalk for android works like a charm,

however during build settings there are no options for set orientation devices or icons assets,

the other android build has many option before start building!

i know this is a beta, but when can be customize our applications?

thank you
jsansch

Postby IntelPaulF » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 am

@jsansch: Thanks for the feedback regarding Crosswalk.

There's still a lot of work to be done on the Crosswalk container as well as the build system. What we are providing is strictly a preview and not recommended for production applications, since the Crosswalk project is still in a beta state and this is the very first iteration of our build system for Crosswalk. The XDK team does not own the Crosswalk project schedule. To find out more about the Crosswalk project, please check the project and wiki site at https://crosswalk-project.org/.

We are very excited about what Crosswalk brings to Android and Tizen and hope to maintain pace with the Crosswalk project, as our resources allow. Sorry, but company policy does not allow us to provide a schedule regarding new features and roadmaps.
Paul Fischer
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel Corporation, HTML5 Dev Tools
IntelPaulF

Postby IntelRobertC » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:57 am

Just want to add that crosswalk has support for cordova 3.0 now, but this is not seen as a substitute for supporting cordova 3.x in other build targets.

Crosswalk issues like missing launch icons, screen orientation API, and more have been noted in other forums and we will try to address all of them.
IntelRobertC

Return to Intel® XDK